Monday, September 29, 2008

Radiation Week Two

Well Diane is now into her second week of her radiation treatments, it's going by at a fairly quick pace, so we hope it just flies by, faster than Sarah Palins' answers with the media.
Diane is beginning to feel the effects of the treatments. Her mouth is not producing enough saliva as before, so it feels dry. They recommend a salt water solution she uses several times a day to keep the PH balanced in there, but we are figuring out a way to deliver the solution into her mouth. (She just can't gulp the stuff). So she tried a large syringe, and by bending way over in the kitchen sink, she "shoots" the stream of solution up into her open mouth, as it somes right back out and quick as it went in. We had a little laugh about that today. I am going to go buy her a small pump sprayer, so she can put put the wand by her lips and press a button to gently spray the inside of her mouth. I tried to make her use my old pump sprayer, the one with Round Up in it, but she simply refused!
She also is beginning to feel some sore spot near her tongue, but the Doctor today couldn't see anything. Her sense of taste is diminished somewhat, and we expect that to get worse.
But Hey, we are right now 6/19, which means 6 down, 19 more to go. That's almost 25% done, and the whole process is beginning to become just another part of the day for Diane.
Till next time...

2 comments:

Photographing Children said...

Great to hear from you, as I have been concerned and thinking of you guys so much. Thank you so much for keeping us posted. Sending so much love to you all. Ginny

Robyn said...

Hi Diane and Jim,
I'm glad I can still follow your progress with Jim's wonderful and touching words. I've never heard of using salt water to hydrate your mouth so you guys taugh ME something. I don't work on Fridays and would be glad to drive you to your appointments if you need them. Please let me know if I can help.
Blessings to all the family,
Robyn