Thursday, August 7, 2008

reality sets in

After being at the hospital for more than 14 hours, I was finally able to see Diane, around 8:00 that evening. What an eye opener. When you see someone you love SO much in a lot of pain, it makes you want to just fix it. She kept slipping in and out of sleep, it was very hard for her to talk, she felt like she was going to throw up, hot flashes, dry mouth, and then trying to get comfortable on a hospital bed with a million cords and tubes all over with machines buzzing makes it hard to doze off. (Let alone the lady next to her snoring!) It was a major surgical procedure and it showed. I was planning to be there all night to help, but the nurses kicked me out at 12:30 AM. I drove home and after being up for 21 hours straight plopped in bed exhausted, mentally, physically and emotionally. Now the tough recuperation time has set in, I am about to drive out there this morning to see my sweet baby and hopefully she is a little bit better today. I THANK YOU all for the support and comments, I started to cry just reading them and I will pass them on to Diane once she is more coherent. The kids are doing fine, they just miss their Mom. More to come....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jim,

Diane is a trooper and I have always admired her for her strength and no-nonsense approach to her life and those around her. We are keeping every good thought for our dear friend and we believe that she will be well and runnin' around in no time. I looked at a website I use for daily affirmations and this is what it said "My body is healed, restored and filled with energy". This will be my thought for Di in the weeks to come.

Love you,

Brian and Berni

Unknown said...

I have been holding my breath thinking of Diane, the Fidelibus Family and the surgery day. I'm so glad it has passed.

I'm 2000 miles away but always know you have my support.

Today's Key Word: Morphine !!!!

Bill K.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to Diane for being such a trooper. You all are in my prayers...

Jenny B.

joyce said...

Jim,
You will hear this again and again and again, but for good reason. Take care of yourself so that you can take care of Diane. Rest well when you can and eat well. She will need your strength.

Diane,
Sometimes only moment by moment...but you will get through this physical, mental and emotional challenge. Be patient with yourself.

Continued positive thoughts to you all...

Joyce and Glen

Julie said...

Hey Jimmy,
Please give Diane a kiss from all of us,and if you add us all up that's a lot of kisses! 8 including the Ashley's and one wet one if you include Buddy! We love you both!
Take it one minute, one hour, one day a time....
Julie
PSB

Anonymous said...

Diane and Jim,
We may be across the country and it may have been a long time since we have talked but all 5 Coulter's have all 5 Fidelibus's in our prayers and out thoughts!! We are glad you are through with the surgery and now can focus on getting well. Take it one step at a time. We will keep you in our prayers!!!
Diana and Mark

Anonymous said...

Love you to both Jim. You're both on our minds, hour by hour. Take good care of yourself and Diane.
Bill & Emily

Anonymous said...

Your the sweetest husband in the whole wide world...I always knew that because Diane told me so.
I'm so sorry for this bend in your road but the road will straighten out soon and you and Diane will back on it with all this behind you...take care of yourself dear Jim.

xoxoxoxo
Laura Rose

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! So happy the surgery is finally over - now wish I could do something to make this recovery time easier for you all. I'm still praying...

Love, Deb

Robyn said...

To the entire Fidelibus family,

All of us at my office think so much of your family. We are holding you all in our hearts. I was glad to read that they were able to do this without splitting Diane's jaw. In my own life I have always found that there is a joy wrapped within the difficult places. I know it may be hard to see that sometimes but I am sure it will reveal itself in it's own time. It sounds as though you are well blessed with a great support group and I am sure it extends farther than you know. I know I was praying for Diane all day on Wednesday. Thank you, Jim, for taking the time to keep so many of us informed.

Love to you all,
Robyn at Ray's office

PS Hey, Diane, I think you finally came up with a way to get out of flossing for awhile! :)