Tuesday, October 21, 2008

3 More Days of Treatment

It's Tuesday evening now, Diane is on her LAST week of radiation treatments. Today I got a little down seeing her go through all this, but when we got back from her treatment, I tucked her in bed for her midday nap, gave her a quick kiss before I left for work, and she looked up at me in her most wonderful voice and said "It'll be over soon Honey, and I'll be feeling my normal self again". For her to say that gave me the biggest smile on my face and off to work I went a happy man. She is sleeping 3-4 hours everyday after her treatments, her body is trying to recover.
Her mouth is not producing much saliva, so it feels dry all the time. Her taste buds are shot, so food doesn't appeal to her much, but she is sick of just drinking the ensure type protien shakes.
Dr Carmel told us today that after her treatments are over, then it would be about a week before she begins to feel better, after that, it will be a fairly quick recovery! I see a light at the end of a tunnel! Yeay. He also said it would be about a month before her taste comes back, and she might not have any on the back of her tongue.
So think of us this Friday, as we end this part of the process towards a healthy Diane!

3 comments:

Photographing Children said...

You two are an amazing team. I just know I'd be whining til the cows came home. It's great that she can and will take the time to rest, rest, rest, and that you have made it possible for her to do that, despite all you are carrying. Sending so much love to you both. Ginny and Grace (and Will from Nigeria)

Anonymous said...

Jim,
My friend Barbara gave me the "hello" message from you. She saw you at Bing Crosby's. Diane, you are almost finished! What a relief finishing with all of this will be! Then you can get your strength back. I am so impressed at your fortitude. Hang in there girl!!! You and Jim are more amazing than ever. Sending good thoughts to all the Fidelibus family. Judy & Ken.

Photographing Children said...

YAY YAY YAY Your treatments are finished! Hope you are able to eek out a little celebrating...like a paddle on the lake! xx00